How to Disciple Another - Some Guidelines
DEFINITION OF A DISCIPLE
- A learner ( from manthano - to learn, and from matheteuo - to make disciples; ( mathetes maqhthV , maqhteuw -matheteuo) ) -one who follows ones' teachings. A disciple is one who whole-heartedly gives oneself to the teachings of another and acts in accordance with what is learned from that teacher.
- Compare Luke 14:25-35
19 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit,
20 teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
2 Tim 2:2
V.2 And the things which you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses, these entrust to faithful men, who will be able to teach others also.
NOTE: The Greek words ( both all verb and noun forms ) for "make disciples" or "disciple", etc. do not appear in any of the epistles.
- In prayer ask God to give you just one individual that you can disciple this year.
- Find someone who may be a younger believer in the faith so you can teach him/her what you have been taught. This one may be a new believer or one who has been saved a while but has not been growing as much as they would like and just need encouragement. It is not a "formal" bible study necessarily, but may be just an answer to a question that points them to God's Word for this answer.
- Discipleship is done in an attitude of love, not a superior attitude. It will involve sacrifice of your time - commitment & faithfulness. It will be a means of buiiding a relationship with one another.
- It may at times involve correction of one straying from God - not active in the things of God - Worship, Ministry, Evangelism, Discipleship, Fellowship.
- It will require time set aside for prayer for or with that person.
- It will mean that you set the example in a godly lifestyle ( It doesn't mean you have to be perfect !! ). You are providing leadership. A good leader knows the way, goes the way , shows the way.
- It will involve accountability to one another - being faithful to the task. 1 Jn. 2:6.
- Sometimes it may be as simple as a phone call with a word of encouragement or just to let that one know you are praying for him/her. It is being available for that person. It can be done on a Sunday for 5 minutes after the worship hour, etc.